About this site Archaeology News & Events Archaeological Process Archaeological Sites in the region Local Community Articles & Images Discussion & Debate Web Links Contact Us Go to Entry Page
 
 
  ISTANA KAMPONG GLAM 2000-2003  
  Introduction | Fort Canning | Fort Tanjong Katong | Istana Kampong Glam | Palmer Road | Padang | St. Andrew's Cathedral | Others
   
 

 

Omar and Chen sharing a cigar over a pit at Istana Kampong Glam.

Volunteers working at the Istana Kampong Glam site.

A picture of some artifacts found in situ.

An assortment of artifacts.

The site of Istana Kampong Glam was excavated in early 2000 and excavations have continued sporadically until mid-2003. 12 squares have been excavated on the site. All squares were excavated till sterile layer was reached at the depth of 80-90cm.

Istana Kampong Glam is a 19th and 20th century site. The present Istana was built around 1842 but written accounts have described a wooden structure that Sultan Hussein and his family lived in as early as 1830. Investigations on the Southeast corner of the site have pointed to a structure that might possibly predate the Istana.

The earliest dated artifacts were VOC (Dutch East Indies Company) and mid-Qing coins. Other artifacts recovered were mostly from the 19th and 20th century and consisted of locally made Malay earthenware; European transfer print ceramic and modern porcelain wares; local and imported glassware; Chinese exported and locally made porcelain and stoneware; Japanese ceramic ware; metallic tools; metal slag; terrestrial and marine faunal bones as well as various species of marine gastropods and bivalves among others.